Saturday, October 22, 2011

OMG Paula, Butternut Squash Risotto in 7 minutes FLAT.

I love my friend Paula, she is smart, beautiful and fun to be with. She looks like this Modigliani painting. She also likes to eat. I love people who love to eat. Paula's cutie pie daughter and my daughter like to play together so we decided that we would cook together and the kids would play. Paula bought  a gorgeous Mistyknoll chicken that she roasted to perfection.

I was in charge of the starch. Now don't think-geesh, this is going to end up being a pressure cooker blog and I might as well just stop reading it right here-I promise I have a whole host of cooking experiences to share beyond the pressure cooker. What you ask? Well that would just be cheating, wouldn't it, for me to tell you in this post? Come back and I'll tell ya.
 Back to the starch. Yes, this is going to be 7 minute risotto in the pressure cooker. A RISOTTO IN 7 MINUTES, I mean how can I NOT write about that? Especially since it is a Butternut Squash Risotto with Fried Sage Leaves, OMG!
If you are going to get a pressure cooker, I recommend buying two books: Pressure Cookers for Dummies (no really I am serious, its a great book) and  Easy Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Dianne Phillips.

Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto
Adapted from Easy Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Diane Phillips
4 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 leek (I added this because I had it and why not)
2 cups chopped butternut Squash
1 1/2 cup Arborio rice (she suggests Carnaroli or Vialone Nana but I have never seen them ANY WHERE so Arborio it is!)
1/2 cup of Paula's Pinot Grigio so she can have a glass and not feel guilty about cracking the bottle open without her husband around.
3 1/2 cup homemade pressure cooker chicken stock or box chicken broth
Some more butter to fry the sage in.
1/4 cup packed fresh Sage Leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste.
Isn't that a beautiful squash? I grew that squash. Smooch! Its that beautful!

Prep your veggies. I only ended up using 1/2 the butternut squash.




Get your cheese grated.

Arborio rice, none of that fancy smancy rice for us.

Get your pressure cooker on the stove and pop the butter into it. Melt it down.
Add your onion and leek, saute for a few minutes. 

Add your squash and rice and mix so everything is oniony and leeky. Haha, that tickled my funny bone. I know I am a geek.
Add your chicken broth/stock.

Don't forget the wine. Very important. 
Now seal that sucker up and fire her up.
And once again my camera is trying to protect you from the steam and not taking the shot. Anyway, there will be pressure as indicated by the yellow button popping up and steam like a tea kettle without the whistle. Turn down the burner if you have a gas stove or  move it to a burner that is on medium if you have an electric. Start timing! 7 minutes. 
Once the 7 minutes is up you are going to take the pot off the burner and move the dial to do a quick release. Let me remind you that steam is HOT. It is not time for a facial people, look away from the steaming pot show. Once the pressure is totally released the yellow button will fall. 
In the meantime, get a gander at the glorious Sage  Paula grew.

Slap some butter in a frying pan and fry up that Sage.

Doesn't that look great? 
You are going to need the fried Sage for the topper. Really! It is the secret ingredient. Okay now open the pressure cooker now that its safe.
NO I am not lying. This happened in 7 minutes. But wait! Its not finished. You need the cheese.
Pour it in.

Mix it up and add some sea salt and pepper.


There she is! You never met anyone who could get so beautiful so fast.

Except for a Pressure Cooker risotto baby!

Paula and I ate far to much but we were able to work it off hiking through the Haunted Forest. Luckily my peanut the Viking was able to fend off marauding ghouls with her sword. My mantra was "watch the sword, please watch the sword" to the actors as she was yelling "I have a sword and I am not afraid to use it!" By the way, she didn't try the risotto. She is a chicken eating Viking.









No comments:

Post a Comment