Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hot Mama and a Hot Mama Flourless Chocolate Cake





When I make cake at my house no one gets excited. There is a lot of " I'll try it later" or "Oh yeah not really hungry right now" or just plain "no". Seriously people, how can this man and child not get that you don't have to be hungry to eat cake? What is wrong with them? So when someone gets excited about the prospect of me making a cake for them well, of course I have to follow through.
Here is a facebook conversation I had yesterday with my new friend Kathleen:

Happy Birthday Kathleen, remember cake calories do not count on your birthday especially if you make your own cake.


  • Kathleen likes this.
    • Kathleen But, I refuse to make my own cake...
      Yesterday at 10:54 · 

    • Susanne  Maybe I will make one for you.
      Yesterday at 15:18 · 
    • Kathleen OMG!!!!
      Yesterday at 15:23 via Mobile · 
    • Kathleen OMG YES!!!!
      Yesterday at 18:30 via Mobile · 


I mean how can you not make a cake for a gal who is this excited about cake? 





Hot Mama Flour-less Chocolate Cake (inspired by Civil Eats Hot Mama Cookies and Gourmet Magazine's Classic Chocolate Flour-less Cake)

4 oz of bittersweet chocolate chips (get the good stuff)
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
3 Large organic eggs
.1/2 cup of Champlain Chocolates unsweetened Cocoa
1/4 tsp instant expresso powder
1 and 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper


Get out your 9" spring form pan that you never use and line the bottom with parchment paper. If it isn't nonstick, butter the sides too. Yes, you have to do this or the cake will stick to the bottom and that will be a disaster. After you do that turn the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit to preheat. 







 Put your chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl.
Add your butter to the bowl with the chocolate chips. Put in the microwave and heat 30 seconds at a time, stopping to stir together until all is melted into one sweet chocolate buttery soup.




That looks like this:


In another larger bowl (yes it has to be larger because you are going to mix the rest of the ingredients in there) add your maple sugar flakes and then add the buttery chocolate soup.
Mix the crap out of it.
Then find an egg and crack it in. Hold your horses, don't get ahead of me. Just ONE egg. Not all THREE eggs.

Stir it together so that the egg is thoroughly incorporated.

Repeat with the remaining eggs. ONE AT A TIME. I don't know why this is so important but it is- trust me on this one.

Meet my little friends, the hot mama crowd: vanilla, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, oh yeah, I threw a little chili pepper in there but you don't reallly need it and for a jolt of enhancing chocolateness- instant expresso powder.
Throw them all in and stir baby stir.


Last but not least, the cocoa powder, best sift it in there because otherwise it gets lumpy. Mix, mix, mix people.
By now your oven should be nicely heated.

Pour into your spring form pan, lick the spatula only after you have swirled the batter around even though its tempting.
Place in your oven for exactly 25 minutes! No I am not kidding. 25 minutes and you have this:

I let it cool for about 15 minutes before  I released it from the pan and flipped upside down onto a plate and sprinkled with powdered sugar.


Gorgeous isn't it?

Little Miss H certainly thought so, but then again the gal takes after her Momma Kathleen.
Hey us Foodies have to stick together.










3 comments:

  1. licking my lips as we speak. Also mentally going through my pantry to see if I have everything I need to make it tonight..... alas, I don't. Tomorrow it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Susy!!!!!!!!! I shared it with my family tonight and IT WAS A HUGE HIT!!!

    xo-K

    ReplyDelete